Thanks to very generous donations from our supporters, we are pleased to offer scholarships to qualifying member land trusts. Awards are to help staff and board members of Alliance Member Land Trusts defray the costs of attending Rally 2019.
The Rally scholarship application will be posted here on Friday, May 24, 2019.
- Please only submit one scholarship application per organization. If an award is received, one reimbursement check will be made out to the organization and not individual attending. We will take into account how many people from each organization plan to attend Rally when determining potential award amounts, so multiple applications from various staff members are not necessary.
- The deadline for scholarship applications is Monday, July 22. You must register for Rally with full payment and if you receive a scholarship and will not be able to attend Rally, you must tell us in writing (email is preferred, firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, September 23. We will then cancel your registration and refund your registration fees in full.
- Application system works best in Firefox and Google Chrome browsers.
- Make sure you save your application if you plan to take a break before submitting it.
What are the criteria for choosing scholarship recipients?
Rally scholarships are awarded to staff and board of Alliance member land trusts that demonstrate the ability or potential to protect land in their communities. To help select these organizations, we have established the following criteria below for evaluation.
Factors that weigh in favor of a Rally scholarship applicant:
- If the scholarship is for the first paid staff member of a land trust (hired within the past 12 months).
- If a scholarship will result in more than one representative from the land trust attending the Rally.
- If the scholarship is for a board member that has not attended Rally before.
- If the land trust’s annual operating budget is less than $100,000.
- If the land trust shows evidence of an active land conservation program or shows progress in laying the groundwork for such a program.
- If the land trust shows progress in developing fundraising capacity.
- If no staff or board member has ever been to Rally.
- If the land trust has, or is planning for, projects in urban areas.
Factors that weigh against a Rally scholarship applicant:
- If the organization also received a scholarship for Rally 2018 in Pittsburgh.
When will you be notified?
Scholarship notification letters will be sent out to applicants the week of August 9.
When will scholarship payments be made?
Recipients must register for Rally and cover all of their own costs up front. After Rally, the Alliance requires that the scholarship recipient complete a Rally Scholarship Summary Form. Instructions will be sent with the scholarship notification letter. Upon receiving the completed form, the Alliance will send a check for the scholarship amount, payable to the land trust, not the individual. The Alliance must receive the form by Friday, November 15, 2019, in order to provide the scholarship. Land trusts should contact the Alliance if other arrangements need to be made.
For general scholarship questions, please contact Lindsay Blair at 646-696-8237 or via email.
If you encounter technical difficulties using the online application program, please contact Katrina Howey, Grants Management Specialist, at (518) 587-0774 or via email.
Thank you to our 2018 Scholarship Supporters!
Robert and Margaret Ayres