In uncertain times, land trusts with a focus on both short and long-term revenue and resources experience less disruption of services. One way to ensure the longevity of your organization is to develop and execute a planned giving program. Giving USA reported 10% of 2019 giving in the United States was from bequests, and research has shown that donors who include a planned gift in their estate tend to increase their current giving. A planned giving program can help your land trust now and into the future.
In this interactive session, participants will address key questions such as:
- What is a planned gift?
- How do we identify who is a prospect?
- How will we communicate with prospects our organization’s willingness to accept
- What is the process to accept the gift?
- How do we ask someone for a planned gift?
- How can we effectively steward and recognize planned gifts?
Using the Lummi Island’s Heritage Trust’s recently launched Legacy Campaign as a case study, we will explore the lessons learned (both good and bad) and how your land trust can develop or enhance your planned giving program.