Thanks to very generous donations from our supporters, we are pleased to offer scholarships to qualifying member land trusts. Awards will typically range in support from $500 to $1,000 and are to help staff and board members of Alliance Member Land Trusts defray the costs of attending Rally 2017.
Rally scholarship applications are now accepted online. If you applied for a scholarship last year or have applied for other Alliance re-grants (exception New York State Conservation Partnership Program), then chances are you already have an account. If not, you will need to create a new one.
Please note that the Rally registration site and scholarship application sites are not linked together and accounts need to be created for each. Once you have set up your account, click on ‘Apply’ on the left hand side of your screen and click on ‘2017 Rally Scholarships’ to begin your application.
The deadline for scholarship applications is Monday, August 7. You must register for Rally with full payment and if you receive a scholarship and will not be able to attend Rally, you must tell us in writing (email is preferred, firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, October 2. We will then cancel your registration and refund your registration fees in full.
- Application system works best in Firefox and Google Chrome browsers.
- Make sure you save your application if you plan to take a break before submitting it.
If you are completing multiple applications for an organization, a new “Copy” feature will allow you to transfer answers from a previous application. Just follow these steps:
- Complete and submit your first application.
- Start a second application by once again clicking on “Apply” and selecting “2017 Rally Scholarships.”
- Click on the blue box in the upper right hand corner which says “Copy Previous Answers.”
- Select which application you would like to copy and click ok.
- Answers from previous application will now be in the new application.
- Edit the name and subsequent answers for the new applicant.
What are the criteria for choosing scholarship recipients?
Rally scholarships are awarded to staff and board of Alliance member land trusts that demonstrate the ability or potential to protect land in their communities. We typically do not award more than one scholarship per organization, per year, thus use your judgment regarding submission of multiple applications for one organization. To help select these organizations, we have established the following criteria below for evaluation.
Factors that weigh in favor of a Rally scholarship applicant:
- If the scholarship is for the first paid staff member of a land trust (hired within the past 12 months).
- If the scholarship is for a board member that has not attended Rally before.
- If the land trust’s annual operating budget is less than $100,000.
- If the land trust shows evidence of an active land conservation program or shows progress in laying the groundwork for such a program.
- If the land trust shows progress in developing fundraising capacity.
- If no staff or board member has ever been to Rally.
- If the land trust has, or is planning for, projects in urban areas.
- If a scholarship will result in more than one representative from the land trust attending the Rally.
Factors that weigh against a Rally scholarship applicant:
- If the applicant, not the organization, also received a scholarship for Rally 2016 in Minneapolis.
When will you be notified?
Scholarship notification letters will be sent out to applicants the week of August 21.
When will scholarship payments be made?
Recipients must register for Rally and cover all of their own costs up front. After Rally, the Alliance requires that the scholarship recipient complete a Rally Scholarship Summary Form. Instructions will be sent with the scholarship notification letter. Upon receiving the completed form, the Alliance will send a check for the scholarship amount, payable to the land trust, not the individual. The Alliance must receive the form by Monday, November 20, 2017, in order to provide the scholarship. Land trusts should contact the Alliance if other arrangements need to be made.
For general scholarship questions, please contact Lindsay Blair at 646-696-8237 or via email.
If you encounter technical difficulties using the online application program, please contact Katrina Howey, Grants Management Specialist, at (518) 587-0774 or via email.
Thank you to our 2017 Scholarship Supporters!
Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
Gates Family Foundation
Gaylord and Dorothy Donnelley Foundation
Hollis Norris Fund
Houston Endowment, Inc.
Still Water Foundation
The Meadow Foundation